Friday, November 19, 2010

Richmond Hill at Night

Last night (thanks to a work at home day today and no commute) I took a walk around Yonge St. to shoot some night shots. Everything was high ISO and handheld, mostly at f/1.8 to f/2.8 with my 35mm. It was too cold to lug my aluminum tripod around. I went black and white because I was more interested in texture and light than color. Light is a complex subject, and I need the practice before buckling down and focusing on my studio work.



One of the advantages of shooting in the wee hours is that there is no traffic on Yonge St.




Shooting at night lets one use the existing lighting and shoot whatever it emphasizes.




Probably the coolest sign in downtown Richmond Hill, with the exception of the Three Coins Diner.




The city always does well when it comes to dressing up for holidays; the Christmas look is starting to appear.




Sitting and watching the cars and people go by.




Brick plus light plus a touch of grain is so cool.




What used to be my favorite Persian restaurant, now a Persian restaurant that I haven't yet tried.




An inanimate object breaks the law.




An automobile, no doubt of some lingering significance.




Natural framing.




The parking lot lights beside the grave yard were doing really interesting things to the grave stones. Then they turned off as I was shooting.




Just before the lights went out.




And just after. Used the pop-up flash for this one, to try to blow out the white on the tree.




41 Acacia Avenue. Not really, but I think about the similarly named Iron Maiden song every time I see this door.


© Jeremy Buehler and Bug Noir (www.bugnoir.com), 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment