Saturday, July 10, 2010

New Camera, New Freedom



This is the first test photo I took with the 105mm. I was making sure the lens worked after taking it out of the box. Much potential for macro!

I purchased a Nikon D300s after two years of not having a digital camera. It's a considerable step up from the pro-sumer Nikon Coolpix 5700 I had previously, and while I'm not yet through the manual, I can already tell I'm going to have a great time with this camera.

I don't want to bash the old Coolpix; it was a fine camera for its day. But the convenience of digital point and shoot did not make up for the freedom I lost compared to using my Canon Rebel G 35mm film camera. I missed switching out lenses, the ability to zoom to 300mm and the freedom of action an SLR body and lenses provided.

Fast forward to today. I have the 405 page D300s manual in front of me, and I'm learning how far digital technology advanced in the last decade. The camera itself is a thing of beauty. While it's heavier than I was expecting (especially with my tripod shoe attached), every other aspect seems to fit just right. Time to hit the gym! ;)

I haven't taken any 'real' photographs so far, only a few to test out the lenses, flash kit, etc. to make sure everything works. And it does. I look forward to spending the rest of the weekend getting to know my new sidekick. Very exciting times!

© Jeremy Buehler and Bug Noir (www.bugnoir.com), 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment