Saturday, July 31, 2010

Green, Brown and Properly Boring

Tonight I went to the Phyllis Rawlinson Park out on Leslie St. north of 19th. It is an old farm that was donated to the city as conservation park land by its last owner - and I challenge you to guess her name.

Anyway, it was overcast but not close to raining, and my goal was architecture photos. I don't really like architecture photos but I figured if there was an old building or two, I would probably enjoy their aged character.

And what luck! The original farmhouse and barn, said the brochure, are there waiting to be photographed.



This is what I saw as I approached. It looked very promising from afar. Stone and log walls, and some other kind of material.



And this was pretty much the only photo I took of it. Why? because it'd been redone, and while some of the features were preserved, they were polluted by modern accents: buried cable warning flags in the lawn; a pole-mounted garbage can; a bag of sidewalk salt outside the back door. It was too slick. Character had fled the building.



I had to move on to flora and fauna. Almost everything was green and brown, and hunting for color was a challenge. Here, a twisted vine...



There, a corn flower.



And in the occasional landscaped flower bed, more impressive specimens. But not *really* impressive.



There were grape vines.



And unripened grapes.



And a long path back to the parking lot.



I tried for a couple of bird shots, but I had no luck and didn't get close enough to take anything decent. Bird photography is a whole other ball game, and without a longer lens, I think I'm going to avoid it.

© Jeremy Buehler and Bug Noir (www.bugnoir.com), 2010.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same problem when trying to take pictures of Union Station. Try to find a way to shoot any part of it without getting the ViaRail signs, or the hot dog cart, or garbage cans. I did finally get a really cool angled shot that I was really happy with that included the clock outside and the pillars in the background, but it took me a long time. And it was with a film camera (with really expensive black and white film), so it wasn't like I could just randomly shoot stuff and sort it out later.

    For bird photography, you should talk to my friend Seabrooke. http://themarvelousinnature.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Tahl... thanks for the link. What a fantastic collection of knowledge. My parents would enjoy it too, they both like to know what's around them.

    As for me, it's inspired me to do some more outdoor macro (without the extensive specimen knowledge to go with it). Amusingly it's difficult to find public woods nearby that let you actually walk in them, opposed to requesting you keep to the path.

    ReplyDelete