Tuesday, August 17, 2010

In No Way Clearing Summer Storm

I'm starting something new this week. Instead of shooting every day I have some obligations to attend to, so I'm posting delayed entries to spread out the updates a little.

It was Sunday morning, and things were looking grim. I woke up and it was overcast and lightly raining. Just before noon it started to more than lightly rain. I was depressed; I've become quite used to not staying inside over the course of the summer.

Around three o'clock in the afternoon things started to look up. The sun broke through the clouds a couple of times and the sky was clearing a bit. I grabbed my gear and headed out, with thoughts of Ansel Adam's Clearing Winter Storm dancing through my head. A fantastic photograph unto itself, but also metaphorically wonderful for symbolizing good times sweetened with fresh memories of bad times.

I grabbed some food for dinner and went to the Phyllis Rawlinson park to see what I could see.



Here it is. I'm sure there are lines of fans outside my door clamoring to buy an autographed print. Hello, fame! ... or maybe not. The skies were unremarkable; there was no Yosemite landscape; and I'm not Ansel Adams. It is, however, fun to be inspired.



And this waited for me after about 20 minutes of shooting. A mad dash back to the car and a summer storm that definitely wasn't clearing. I drove home. I'll get it next time.

P.S. In the previous post there's a photo of a wasp showing clearly three dots on its head. I remarked that I did not know what they were for. I have since learned they are Ocelli or 'simple eyes'. That's right, wasps have two sets of eyes: The large compound, multi-lens eyes with the cool pattern featured in the image, and three simple, single-lens eyes apparently used to assist in flight stability and as part of an early-warning system that identifies predatory shapes... ... a theory supposedly used in the development of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle flight systems.

© Jeremy Buehler and Bug Noir (www.bugnoir.com), 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment