Thursday, August 5, 2010

This Old House

My friend Tim posted a couple of links in the last week to sites belonging to professional photographers with cool portfolios involving night photography. I am an amateur photographer without a cool portfolio of night photography. So tonight, I thought I'd try to remedy that.

On my way to mystical Georgina earlier this week I noticed an abandoned, boarded-up house situated right beside a grocery store parking lot. At the time I thought it would be good to shoot because it's accessible on three of four sides without trespassing. The road goes right to the front door, the parking lot closely surrounded it on two sides, and a field lined the final side. I could get close if I wanted to.

I tried shooting the whole house but I couldn't get an angle that worked for me. Architecture is a weakness for me to begin with, and the easy access wasn't helping like I thought it would. I shot about 30 photos before I started to see what was interesting about the viewfinder image. And, sitting here at home looking at the results of my shoot, I see more stuff more clearly. Ah well, next time.

There are only two shots I want to share tonight:



I thought this was an interesting shot because of the lines, the black backdrop, and the shadows caused by the mammoth parking lot light almost directly to the left of the shot. It gave the chimney and roof a warm color I couldn't cancel out entirely using white balance. This shot looks really cool in black and white, but I'm not going to cheat. Yet. ;)



And this is the other interesting shot I saw. If I could do it again, I'd try to shorten the exposure to cancel the blur on the tree. While blur can be interesting, I don't feel comfortable about it working here. Messing with crops, I think there might be three images in this shot, that could be separately composed. Again, no cheating. Yet.

© Jeremy Buehler and Bug Noir (www.bugnoir.com), 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment