Sunday, August 1, 2010

Lazy Bugs and Flowers Sunday

Today's post is all macro, which is to say I shot it all with the 105mm micro lens. I had two themes running around my head, the first, 'bugs at work' and the second, 'the secret life of flowers'.

I also wanted to shoot some scenery with the 18-200mm and the polarizer, but had little luck as the sun was hidden by clouds most of the time, and I quickly switched it out.

I wound up focusing more on the bugs because there were few flowers to be found. My outing soon degenerated into a 'wander aimlessly, listen to music, hunt bugs' adventure.

All pics were taken at the Mill Pond park in my neighborhood. I wasn't feeling like driving today, so I kept close to home.



Ladies and gentlemen, I begin with the common house fly. I enjoy this shot because I think I can see me in the reflection on its back.



I don't know a lot about insects. Or flowers. Or fungus. But I do enjoy taking photos of them. For some reason, I find flies partial to standing still, which makes them easy targets for close-ups.



The more time I have with them standing still, the more I can move around and try to get in front of them, and isolate them against a neutral background. A little more light would have helped this photo.



This beetle is almost in focus! I kept the photo because of the cool, slick colors on its back.



I don't think this is a bee. It looks like a bee, but those antennae... they just don't look right.



A bee, happily toiling amongst the thistle blooms.



And another. I never realized bugs were so furry until I started macro.



My first butterfly (I think) in the wild. The swallowtails from the zoo pics a while ago don't count - they were in-doors.



An ant, this time almost in focus! The hardest thing about shooting ants is that they move so quickly. It's tricky to manage light, shutter speed and depth of field without a flash or crazy glue.



Yeah, yeah. I know this one isn't really in focus, nor am I partial to the grain, but the reflection was too cool to throw away.



In one of my first posts about bugs I said one of the best time to shoot them is while they are having sex. Today, I am second guessing that recommendation. The insect behind is obviously giving me the evil eye, and in another frame, he waved. Creepy.



This isn't really a bug, it's a bug house. It was empty, but was stuck to the underside of a leaf.



This is also not a bug. I said 'bugs at work', he heard 'birds at work'... I shot it anyway so it wouldn't feel bad. And this after me complaining yesterday that there'd be no bird photography until I got a longer lens. This one was three feet away from me, in the middle of a stand of thistles and grass, and wasn't concerned by my presence.



And on to the flower shots. I suppose this is a little perverted, given that these are the flowers sex organs, but I can't help myself... They look too cool.



This isn't really a macro shot, I just like the colors.



Same for this one. The 105mm is quite a versatile lens.



Back in we go. No two types of flower have the same execution of the same parts.



Each is a unique take on getting the job done.



And some are definitely weirder than others.



Purple, orange, red, yellow... Quite a combo.

I think if you want to find outstanding color in Ontario in the summer, you really have to go macro. Otherwise, what color there is becomes lost in all the green and brown.

© Jeremy Buehler and Bug Noir (www.bugnoir.com), 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment