Friday, September 3, 2010

Angels Have Weird Toes

Today I picked up a new batch of gear, and included in it was a Nikkor 35mm 1.8 DX lens. It is super cheap, but after my first outing with it tonight, I have to say a bargain for the money. It has some hefty distortion but the images I took (when they were in focus) were very sharp. It focuses slower than I'm used to but I can't blame my out of focus shots on that. I've never used a lens with an aperture larger than 2.8 and I now want every lens I own to be bigger than 2. Come on, lottery!

I went to a local graveyard to shoot (where else would I be on a Friday night?), one that I've walked by hundreds of times over the years but never visited. I was surprised to find some of the graves dating back to the early 1800s, their marble surfaces almost worn away.



Due to a line of trees, and my timing - I was a little late - most of the graveyard was in shadow when I arrived. There were occasional pockets of light where the suns rays broke through the trees. I went from one to the next to try to compose shots that made use of it, with some success.




I'll definitely be going back to visit again, but probably in the morning when the graveyard will get unobstructed light from the east.




This angel was riding the tacky line but it did not have questionable toes.




Tried to frame here, in hindsight I should have held the camera lower to the ground. I was sitting when I took these, so that would be interesting. Regardless, this shot is one of my favorites.




This marker was the strangest. At first I thought the top part was sculpted skulls, but as I got closer realized they were flowers.




Some of the evening's good light on the plain but pretty-in-the-light church.




I met this angel. She had some skin issues but she was pretty. I think she was older than she looked.




She was hanging out, doing what angels do.




This shot is probably more creepy than a graveyard deserves; the rot approaches from the left to finish the job. Or it's a tree. Could go either way.




The toes in question. Weird!




At first I thought, damn, I over-exposed the shot! then I took a closer look and thought, hot damn, I over-exposed the shot!




She was either praying, or begging me to come back and re-shoot her with a stronger sunset. Perhaps a bit of both.




Riding the theme of empty bench shots from my last post, this one has so much symbolism attached to it, it's symbolism overload!


© Jeremy Buehler and Bug Noir (www.bugnoir.com), 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment