Friday, September 10, 2010

That Darn Cat

Tonight's plan was to go to the woods at the north end of the Mill Pond and try to take advantage of the fantastic sunlight at the end of this sunny day. Maybe if I say sun enough it will come back tomorrow!

My plans, as usual, were foiled. This time by wildlife.



When I first arrived at the Mill Pond I saw this cat. The cat saw me, and it jumped a little... it seemed skittish. Then it stopped, stared, and relaxed. It had sized me up, lens flare and all.




It walked over to me and I knew I was in trouble.




It had something to say...




...so it sat me down and said it.




Obviously the animal was terrified of me.




After an hour had passed I had to lift him off me. He was an older guy, and as generous as I am with my body heat, I was concerned he'd just stay there for hours.




I walked back to the sidewalk and he followed me for a bit, which was a concern, until he stopped and waved.




I got back to what I came to do! This shot was actually taken before the cat incident on the way to the park; the rest, after the cat on the way home.




I'd originally wanted to be in the woods for these kinds of shots, but I think I got better results along the street, where fewer trees meant more light could get through. This was a spectacular example of near-sunset natural spot lighting.




What color there is really stands out, even the subtle difference in greens from one type of tree to the next.




More spotlights on some great bark. I might have zoomed closer if I had my 18-200mm with me (I just had the 35mm and my flash in my backpack, ready for my woods excursion).




The shadows here might have been better represented in black and white, but I think they hold up in green too. Besides, soon these trees will have no leaves; I'd like to enjoy it while I can.




My apartment building, basking in the good light.


© Jeremy Buehler and Bug Noir (www.bugnoir.com), 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment