Monday, September 20, 2010

Halifax: Day Three, Spiders and Wood

Today I spent the afternoon in the woods, learning a local park and shooting a variety of subjects. Shooting in the woods on a cloudy day meant carrying and using my tripod. It's a very nice spot and I'll probably go back when I've had a chance to chew on the photos I took today.

One challenge I'm having is accurately judging the exposure of images on my laptop screen. I'm missing my larger and more accurate desktop monitor. The result is I'm not sure if I'm adjust the images too bright or too dark.



Someone asked me for a photo of birch trees; I am fairly certain this isn't what they had in mind.




Baby trees.




I definitely want to do more of these. Water droplet reflections are an aspect of macro photography I haven't really tried yet.




Dead trees make very cool skeletons.




I thought this stump looked vaguely spider-like. This was ironic, although at the time I didn't know it yet.




You see, when you spend your time looking at the ground, you don't see what's around you. Or who's watching you...




I saw one spider. And then another. And another... until I realized I was surrounded by hundreds of them in the small spruce trees around me.




I'm usually ok with spiders but when there are so many around, and they're all so big, it made me a little uneasy.




And so I moved on, back to the trail and out of the spider habitat. There was more artful tree stumps.




This one reminded me of the scene in 2001 A Space Odyssey, when the monkeys are standing around the obelisk.




Some interesting clouds appeared over the harbour, and I was able to use them to add texture to the background of this tree.




I hope this fills the birch tree photo request.




I climbed a ravine wall for this one; the textures in the tree stump kept me busy for a while.




Beside the tree in the last photo lay this one; two methods of decomposition. This one was carpeted with lichen.




More stump texture.




Putting the fun back in fungus.


© Jeremy Buehler and Bug Noir (www.bugnoir.com), 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment